Monday, September 29, 2014

Design Wall Monday--9/29/2014

On my design surface today is what I'm calling "Rescuing the Medallion Star", a revamp of a quilt top that was given to me.

There were three different combos of the two prints and one neutral I'm using for the border sections.  Though the pattern gave directions to sew strip sets and then cut 1.5" segments from each, I used a shortcut I learned from Bonnie Hunter's Quiltville to speed up the process and keep the pieces matched, but carried it one step further by marking the paired strips and sewing 1/4" from the marked line before cutting it apart.  Not a new idea, by any means, but one that improved my accuracy.  I always did have trouble getting those small pairs all exact.


I'm not sure I would use this method if I had several dozens of blocks to sew for a quilt, but in this case there were only 12 blocks.  It was faster for me to use scissors to cut them apart on the marked lines, so that's what I did.


So far, so good!  I plan on using these block parts as leader-enders while I make dozens of blocks for the Winding Ways quilt. 


A long cutting session on Saturday at a guild sew-in saw all the remaining pieces get fed through the GO die cutter and fill this box. I believe I now have enough block parts, but given my MATH history, we shall see!  It was a busy Saturday, including a haircut where I left 4" of length on the floor, the sew-in, and an engagement party for a nephew.  We got to see this little guy twice this weekend:


Grandson Cove sure looks like his Mama in this photo :)  He's 7 months old now, has two teeth, is crawling like crazy, pulling himself up to stand any time he can, and as our daughter said, mowing down all food offered to him.  What a joy he is in our lives!

See more design walls on Judy's Patchwork Times.   



9 comments:

Lorraine said...

Busy Busy! Little Cove is just adorable - bright as a button! He will be taking selfies in no time at all :) where have the last 7 months gone - it seems like yesterday you were announcing his arrival!

Janet O. said...

He is such a cutie! So fun at that age.
You have me curious about the quilt top you are rescuing. : )

Mrs. Goodneedle said...

Busy days... looks like you've been quite productive! That Cove gets cuter each and every day, how is that even possible?

Mary said...

Wow! You have been productive. Cove is such a good looking baby.

Shay said...

Wild and Crazy Sewing times at the Ort house Annie. You're moving along on that rescue re-do at a rate of knots!

Quilter Kathy said...

Two great projects on the go there! What a sweetie pie your grandbaby is!

Marg said...

Gosh 7 months has sped by in no time, and he is so cute.
You have been very productive, I hope your quilt math is good!

Kate said...

Cove is definitely a little cutie! They grow so fast. Sometimes it seems like they grow faster than the quilts do!

Browndirtcottage said...

Oh! Oh! Cute quilty stuff-n-things!!!

Oh! Oh! CUTE CUTE COVE!!!

Really liking your commish quilt too!

Haircut? 4 inches????? Oh My!!

Design Wall Monday--Catching Up

 Design Wall Monday --See more design walls on Judy's Small Quilts and Doll Quilts blog.  I disappeared for awhile, due to computer issu...